King oysters are cultivated on the sawdust of broad-leaved trees. These mushrooms have a stronger flavor than their relative, the oyster mushroom. There are approximately 5 to 7 mushroom per pound.
It has hints of shellfish, a creamy finish and a silky soft texture with a multifloral nose. It holds up extremely well under heat, making it well suited for stews and soup. Its pulp is fleshy and flavor incredible.
Mushrooms should be kept in the refrigerator in a paper bag. Mushrooms will usually last about a week in the refrigerator, but are best consumed within the first three days. If the mushrooms you receive are a little damp, allow them to air dry in the refrigerator. Mushrooms should be fully cooked prior to eating.
As a rule, clean the mushrooms as you need them, ideally without water. Paring knives, mushroom brushes, and tea towels can all be used to remove debris. It is not uncommon to find the occasional bug on a mushroom, simply wipe it off and know that the mushroom is still perfectly safe and delicious to eat.