The flavour has been described as nutty and slightly meaty, with a smooth, creamy texture, and a distinctive aroma reminiscent of sourdough. Italian chef and restaurateur Antonio Carluccio has described it as representing “the wild mushroom par excellence”, and hails it as the most rewarding of all fungi in the kitchen for its taste and versatility.
How to Store and Handle Wild Mushrooms
- Wild mushrooms should be kept in the refrigerator in a paper bag.
- As a rule, clean the wild mushrooms as you need them, ideally without water. Paring knives, mushroom brushes, and tea towels can all be used to remove debris.
- Wild mushrooms will usually last about a week in the refrigerator, but are best consumed within the first three days.
- If the wild mushrooms you receive are a little damp, allow them to air dry in the refrigerator.
- It is not uncommon to find the occasional bug on a wild mushroom, simply wipe it off and know that the mushroom is still perfectly safe and delicious to eat.
- Mushrooms should be fully cooked prior to eating.
Special Shipping Regulations
Quality is paramount in the products we sell. Perishable items are shipped and packaged as quickly as possible. To maximize the freshness of this wonderful product, it must be shipped by UPS Standard Overnight. Due to this requirement, please note that orders placed on Friday will not ship until Monday.