Matsutake mushrooms have been revered by the Japanese for over 1000 years and until the 17th century, was consumed only by members of the imperial court. The highly prized matsutake mushroom is quite possibly one of the most distinct mushrooms you will ever taste. You will find the texture and aroma of this mushroom totally intoxicating. With a defined firmness and crunch, they will add amazing flavor and aroma to your favorite broths and rice dishes. Also try grilling them and serving with fish.
Our matsutake mushrooms are sustainably foraged in the Pacific Northwest of the United States and Canada.
How to Store and Handle Wild Mushrooms
- Wild mushrooms should be kept in the refrigerator in a paper bag.
- As a rule, clean the wild mushrooms as you need them, ideally without water. Paring knives, mushroom brushes, and tea towels can all be used to remove debris.
- Wild mushrooms will usually last about a week in the refrigerator, but are best consumed within the first three days.
- If the wild mushrooms you receive are a little damp, allow them to air dry in the refrigerator.
- It is not uncommon to find the occasional bug on a wild mushroom, simply wipe it off and know that the mushroom is still perfectly safe and delicious to eat.
- Mushrooms should be fully cooked prior to eating.
Special Shipping Regulations
Quality is paramount in the products we sell. Perishable items are shipped and packaged as quickly as possible. To maximize the freshness of this wonderful product, it must be shipped by UPS Standard Overnight. Due to this requirement, please note that orders placed on Friday will not ship until Monday.